Thursday, January 8, 2009

Custom Fraud Possible? Yahmon!


Here's a letter to the editor of the "Jamaica Gleaner" published under the title: "A dangerous practice"

It illustrates how aware consumer's are becoming to potentially fraudulent/risky practices. Mr. Cooke knows better than to punch debit/credit card numbers into a computer. So I have two questions:


1. Why isn't the Jamaican Custom's Office as aware?

2. What on earth was the agent thinking (drinking) entering a PIN (using a keypad) into a computer?  It's high time they put some more energy into preventing this type of behavior...

As the title states...it's a dangerous practice.    

The Editor, Sir:


Kindly publish this as an open letter to Director of Customs Danville Walker and Minister of Finance Audley Shaw.


Dear Sirs,


I wish to comment on a practice I encountered at the Customs office at Berth 6 Newport West on January 5. I attended there to clear a barrel of food and clothing sent by my wife's siblings in New York. The process was relatively quick and easy, given past experiences clearing personal effects there in 1999. But when I went to pay the customs duty at the cashier, I was shocked to be asked to hand over my debit card with which I was paying the fee.

Instead of asking me to swipe my debit card in a machine, as is usual, the clerk asked for my card and then entered the number of the card and relevant particulars in the computer, and enquired whether it was a chequing or savings account. She then asked me to enter my PIN and press enter, before handing me back my card.

I remarked to her that this was unusual, (translation: he wasn't "a custom'd" to this?) and that the card was private as it contained personal information that could be retrieved and used by someone fraudulently.


This practice is dangerous and should be stopped as identity theft has become a very prevalent crime in recent years. It should be necessary only to have the customer swipe his card, enter his PIN, and press enter to get confirmation from the card company for the amount required.

I must strongly object to this dangerous practice which can put customers' bank accounts at risk to unscrupulous persons. Please mister Commissioner of Customs and mr minister, review and change this practice for the security of your customs.

I am, etc.,
LLOYD A. COOKE
Royal Flat Box 642 Mandeville PO

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Disqus for ePayment News