Wednesday, March 25, 2009

To Hell With Convenience


Here are some excerpts from an article in todays Mirror.co.uk 

You'll note that criminals prefer Card Not Present crimes.  So how do you get rid of Card NOT Present crimes?  Get rid of Card NOT Present transactions.  Swipe...Don't Type!


You also might take note that "convenience vs. security" only works in a perfect world.  If that perfect world is breached...all hell breaks loose.  Consumers might be protected, but "two weeks of hell" sounds rather "inconvenient" to me.  Wait a minute...If I saved 3 seconds on 20 transactions, no nevermind, still not worth even an hour in hell...

Therefore, "To Hell with Convenience" is this posts title.  Here's theirs:
 
Debit and credit card users beware - new fronts have opened in the clone wars
The Mirror UK  By Tricia Phillips 25/03/2009

Maxine Skelton knows to her cost the pain of card cloning fraud – she’s been hit not once, not twice but THREE times. The rip-off’s a big earner for thieves, with cases doubling in the past two years to push dodgy bank transactions to a record £609million.

Maxine fell victim to one of the biggest scams around, a counterfeit card copied using stolen UK card details for use in countries yet to upgrade to chip and PIN.

“It was awful. I had two weeks of hell with no access to any cash in my account.

I had to use my credit card to live off. This type of thing really does mess up your life.” Maxine was able to prove she hadn’t spent the money and got her cash refunded.

“It has made me really careful now. I don’t let my cards out of my sight, I tear up all my receipts, I double-check every item on my statements and I’m wary at cashpoints. It’s worrying knowing strangers can steal from your account.”

Kerry D’Souza, a fraud expert at card protection company CPP, says: “Criminals like card-not-present crimes because they can do it without having to make face-to-face transactions.

Click here to read the entire story at the Mirror



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

Disqus for ePayment News